Australia

Australia’s low third-dose vaccination coverage raises concerns

State and federal officials are concerned that the number of Australians receiving the third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine has plateaued.
To date, 71.4% of eligible Australians, or just over 14.1 million people, have received the third dose. But he still hasn’t gotten a booster for over 5.6 million people.

Queensland was the lowest state with a boost of 64.5% of eligible residents, while the ACT has the highest coverage (79.9%). The booster rate is 55% of Aboriginal Australians nationwide.

The new third dose was barely rising each day until New South Wales hit 2075 on Friday and the Northern Territory hit 45.
Health Minister Mark Butler said: “The tertiary booster dose rates are flat and this is something I am very concerned about.

Information campaigns have been rolled out, but the problem of low understanding among those under the age of 65 persists.

“No explanation”

So far, 4.22 million Australians have received their fourth dose after the program was extended a few weeks ago.
Opposition health spokeswoman Ann Ruston says the federal government’s response to the Omicron wave is “worrisome.”

“They have ended a string of aid that has helped Australians through the pandemic and have been forced to backflip disaster payments for pandemic leave,” she told AAP.

“The 70 COVID-related telemedicine items, free RATS for Discount Cardholders and Elderly Care Facilities, and Operation COVID Shield all ended without an explanation, clear advice, or a model to back up their decisions. .”

Victoria’s healthcare system ‘weathers’ COVID-19 storm

Meanwhile, quarterly data show that Victoria’s health system is under unprecedented pressure from flu season and the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Victoria’s elective treatment waiting list fell to 87,275 after the June quarter from a revised 88,920, according to new data released on Saturday.
This comes after some Victorian hospitals, including The Alfred and Bendigo Health, postponed or canceled surgeries in mid-July during the third wave of Omicron in the US.

Therefore, the potential impact of their decisions will not be reflected until the next quarterly data batch.

Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas said there was a 48% increase in the number of surgeries planned in Victoria in the three months to June compared to the March quarter.
This equates to approximately 20,000 additional steps.
“We are at a time of record-breaking demand for our healthcare system, but this latest data shows that we are weathering the storm and building a stronger system than ever before,” Thomas told reporters in Melbourne. It shows that there is,” he said.
“All health workers are doing an incredible job under difficult circumstances and this government will provide all the support needed to provide the people of Victoria with the care they need more quickly. We are making it available.”
Thomas says there’s no quick fix, but the government’s $12 billion pandemic remediation plan and $1.5 billion COVID-19 catch-up initiative are starting to make an impact.
Fewer people were waiting for elective surgery than three months ago, but opposition health spokeswoman Georgie Crozier said there were 21,000 more people on the waiting list than at the same time last year. said.

“This is another 21,000 Victorians waiting in declining health and pain,” she said.

Australia’s low third-dose vaccination coverage raises concerns

Source link Australia’s low third-dose vaccination coverage raises concerns

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button