Australia

Queensland family shooting: Charged with 3 counts of murder, 1 count of attempted murder

A 59-year-old man has been charged with three counts of murder following a horrific shooting in a remote farmland in Queensland.

defendant identified by home delivery that’s why Long-term bogey resident Darryl Younghas also been charged with attempted murder.

He appears in Proserpine Magistrate’s Court on Monday.

Mervyn and Maree Schwarz and her son Graham Tighe were killed Bogey on Thursday.

Graham’s brother, Ross Tai, survived the shooting and is currently hospitalized after being shot in the stomach.

Police say the weapon used in the shooting was a rifle.

“At approximately 9:00 a.m., police would allegedly have received reports that three people had been shot dead on the Shannonvale Road property, and another man had a gunshot wound to the abdomen,” the police said in a statement. Stated.

“The injured man remains in stable condition at Mackay Base Hospital with a single gunshot wound to the abdomen.”

“How that happened in this day and age is beyond me. It’s not America,” said Greg Austin, Marie Schwartz’s brother-in-law. daily mail.

Austin said he was completely shocked to hear the news and described his loved ones as an “honest Christian family.”

“They worked 24/7, drank beer on Sundays, attended events, and were very community-minded and well-respected Bush families in the community. A normal Australian family.” He said.

Austin told news.com.au he learned of the shooting through “dribbing and dribbling” from other members of his family.

“I have sisters who are either there or on their way there and that was exactly what I was hearing from them. I did,” he said.

And in a tragic detail, Mr. Austin said that Graham Ty I only spent three days with my newborn son Before shooting. The baby had just returned home after he spent three weeks in a hospital in Brisbane.

Stream Australian news in Flash. Over 25 news channels in one place. New to Flash? Try it free for 1 month. Promotion ends October 31, 2022 >

how things unfolded

At 8:54 am on Thursday, emergency personnel were called to the facility in Bogie, a small outback mining town in the Whitsundays near Collinsville.

Three deaths were confirmed after police were notified of reports that multiple people had been shot in the area.

A state of emergency was declared under the Public Safety Act at 11:30 a.m. after the lone survivor, Ross, was found in his car at Flagstone, with boundaries demarcated at Sutherland Road, Normanby Road and Mount Compton. Road, straddling Starvation Creek.

This state of emergency has since been rescinded.

Police said Ross managed to alert police to the shooting after he fled the scene and miraculously traveled “many kilometers” while suffering from gunshot wounds.

Queensland Police Acting Superintendent Tom Armitt said Thursday: “The man believes he was able to withdraw from the area when he was spoken to by police officers miles from the scene of the crime.

“He had fled the scene…he was able to tell the police that he had been shot and that three others had also been shot.”

Police said he fled the scene in a red Ute before contacting authorities.

Austin told the Daily Mail that his nephew had shown incredible courage and described him as “a very strong man.”

“Ross has two girls and he’s fine. We haven’t spoken to him yet because he’s been away for about three hours, but we’re on our way there,” he said.

“To be able to witness what happened in front of him and then get back in the car shows true resilience and I am sure he will remember it for the rest of his life.”

He was taken to Mackay Hospital in critical condition and underwent emergency surgery.

He is currently in critical but stable condition in intensive care.

Police were able to interview him Thursday night and are expected to speak to him again today.

talk sunrise On Friday morning, Acting Superintendent Armitt said police “believed” the suspect was in custody.

“The person named in that crime is being held with us here,” he said.

“We are not filing charges at this time as the investigation is ongoing.”

Police spoke to five people in connection with the shooting Thursday night.

The two people called to the police were wind farm contractors who happened to be near the site. They were released Thursday night.

Two other family members of the 59-year-old man who is still in custody have now been released.

The man, still in custody, was found by police on the premises after the shooting.

“At the specific point when we first got the call, we had no idea who the shooter was or where he was. I had to walk into the scene with a mindset,” Acting Superintendent Armitt told reporters on Friday.

“We were able to get in touch with people on the premises and arrange for them to be detained.”

$10M Fortune in the Spotlight and Neighborhood Disputes

The alleged neighborhood dispute formed a major part of the investigation, and Acting Superintendent Armitt revealed that the parties involved in the event were neighborhood residents.

The Schwartzes, along with Graham, had just purchased 300 square kilometers of land in May 2021. daily mail.

They paid $10 million for land plotted for cattle grazing, breeding and farming purposes.

Acting director Armitt will also appear on Nines today We’ll have a show on Friday to go into more detail about the alleged neighborhood dispute.

“There are not many details that I can tell you right now. It means that something has happened.

Later Friday, the acting superintendent provided more insight into the layout of properties in the area, revealing that the scene of the shooting is very remote, an hour and a half from Collinsville.

“We’re talking about tens of thousands of acres, and the two properties in question are actually 45 minutes’ drive between neighbors,” he said. explained.

“At the crime scene at the front gate of a promise, the drive between the gate and the house at that location is 3 km.”

Whitsundays Regional Council Mike Brunker said: sunrise The family moved to the area from the west and described the situation as “utterly tragic”.

“On the road that leads to that particular piece of land there are some small country housing estates, and of course, at the end of the road, we’re talking cattle holdings,” he said. .

“I think these people just moved here 12 months ago from the West.”

‘Shocking’: Town rattled by horror shooting

Brunker said a tragic event like this would never have occurred to the Bogey community to make national news.

According to the latest census data, Bogey has a population of just 207, making it a very close-knit community.

Locals in nearby Bowen and Collinsville described the incident as “abnormal” and “strange” for the normally quiet area.

A Collinsville business owner said, “We haven’t had a lot of shootings in Bogey in the past…very rare.”

Mr. Shontai McLennan, who lives in Bowen, said, daily mercury The situation was a complete shock to many.

“We’re traditional owners of this land around Collinsville. You wouldn’t have thought that would happen here. It’s a small town,” she said.

Warren Davidson of Redcliffe told the publication that he saw multiple emergency vehicles driving down the road on the way from Ingham to Bowen.

“Then I heard on CB radio that there was a shooting. Quite shocking,” he said.

first published as Dead father revealed to have spent just three days with son in tragic twist in Queensland family shooting

Queensland family shooting: Charged with 3 counts of murder, 1 count of attempted murder

Source link Queensland family shooting: Charged with 3 counts of murder, 1 count of attempted murder

Back to top button