Australia

Tourism industry wants dates to allow Melvanians to travel

“The level of despair from the operator is like I’ve never seen before,” she said.

Mariani said many regional companies would not be able to survive in the long run without a visitor from Melbourne. She wants the government to declare a date on which Melvanian can leave the city by November 1.

“The industry needs to be clear about what’s going on,” she said. “If you want to start some recovery, you need to travel more Melbourne to Victoria.”

Victoria’s economy was hit hard by the closure of the travel sector. According to a survey commissioned by the Tourism and Transportation Forum, Victoria has lost $ 1.44 billion a month in domestic tourism spending since the outbreak of the pandemic.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, the Gippsland region has lost $ 180 million in visitor spending. credit:Eddie Jim

Destination Gippsland CEO Terri Robinson said his area has lost $ 180 million a month since March. He warned that some companies would not be able to survive another lost summer after a wildfire struck parts of the area last year.

“If they don’t reach the peak season, that will be their last blow,” he said.

Deakin University Epidemiology Chairman Catherine Bennett said she would allow Melvanian to travel to Victoria, but observing the same rules that apply to the city would be an option. ..

She may mean that Melvanians are limited to ordering takeaways at local cafes and restaurants, but at least that allows them to leave the city and some economics to Victoria in the area. He said it would provide a boost.

“If you have a house in the country, you can go there,” said Professor Bennett. “If you have a hotel that manages a COVID safe plan, you can go there, but you may not be able to dine in the indoor dining room.”

Kim Story, general manager of the Phillip Island Regional Tourism Board at the destination, said tourism operators need time to prepare for a significant number of visitors.

“I hope that on Sunday, the next step in Victoria will be a little more open and Melbourne will be a test site for more,” she said.

Loading

Paul Preston, owner of Mallacoota’s Beachcomber Caravan Park, has booked the site for regular visitors, but has not yet accepted new bookings from Melvanian.

He urged the government to take a cautious approach on Sunday to protect the region’s Victoria from the virus.

“The last thing we want is to break into Victoria and shut down the entire show,” he said.

Some business leaders want to further relax regulations in the Victorian region to allow the hospitality sector to serve more customers indoors.

In an open letter to the state government, the Victorian Regional Chamber of Commerce Alliance stated that the hospitality business was plagued by last-minute booking cancellations.

“They are floating and losing money trying to keep hiring staff,” the letter said.

“Over the past few weeks, current restrictions have caused many unexpected difficulties for business owners.

“At the venue, trying to predict the weather conditions for outdoor meals has been reported to affect inventory orders and cause food loss.”

Cafes, pubs and restaurants in the Victorian area can serve up to 50 people outdoors and up to 20 people indoors across two spaces.

Sign up for the Coronavirus Update Newsletter

Get our Coronavirus Update Newsletter about the key developments of the day, the number you need to know, and what our readers are saying.Sign up Sydney Morning Herald With this newsletter Of the times here.

Benjamin is the regional editor of The Age. He was previously a state round reporter and was also in charge of education at The Age.

Most viewed in the whole country

Loading

Place of originTourism industry wants dates to allow Melvanians to travel

Back to top button