Hackers broke into Optus’ systems and accessed data including names, dates of birth, phone numbers, email addresses, postal addresses and passport numbers, the telecom company said.
In a statement released at 2 p.m. Thursday, Optus said it immediately stopped an attack that could have accessed the data of its 9 million customers. The attack occurred while discovering the breach and working with the Commonwealth Government’s Australian Cyber Security Centre.
So far, there is no evidence that payment details and account passwords have been compromised, and it added that it continues to investigate the breach.
Optus CEO Kelly Bayer Rosmarin apologized to customers. In his statement, Bayer Rosmarin said, “We are devastated to learn that our customers’ private information has been disclosed to people who should not have been able to see it following a cyberattack.
“Not everyone has been affected and the investigation has not yet been completed, but we want all customers to be aware of what happened as soon as possible so that they can be more vigilant. We are very sorry for the concern this has caused you, and you can rest assured that we are working diligently with all relevant authorities and organizations to protect you as much as possible. ”
Optus has notified the Australian Federal Police, the Australian Information Commissioner’s office, financial institutions and regulators of the breach.
Bayer Rosmarin said, “While we are unaware that our customers have suffered any damage, we encourage our customers to be aware of any unusual or unauthorized activity or notifications that may appear bizarre or suspicious. I recommend it to you,” he said.
Optus mobile, internet and other services are still up and safe to use.
Widespread cyberattack hacks personal information
Source link Widespread cyberattack hacks personal information